I love books, in all shapes and sizes. I love myself a physical book; the smell of it, the feeling of the pages, if you’re a bookworm you know what I mean. There is just something magical about a real book, words printed on beautiful paper. But I also can’t deny my love for digital books… I love e-reading. Some people say you either love physical books or e-books, but honestly, with me, it is both!
I got my first e-reader in October 2012, I had to look this up and I can honestly not believe it has been that long! I’ve been reading e-books for 7 years now, that is a bloody long time! My first e-reader was the Kobo Touch, I think it was one of their first models. It was back when they still had white e-readers*… I loved that thing to bits. I wasn’t sure before, I always thought real books were better, I kind off hated e-readers – not having tried it myself. But one day I got on board of the digital train and asked one for my Birthday. Sadly my Kobo Touch died after about a year and it couldn’t be repaired so they send me a new one instead, to my big surprise that was a Kobo Glo – a better model. They didn’t have the Touch anymore so they send me the better one. I loved that thing too, it had a red/pink back that was really soft and most importantly, it was Kobo’s first e-reader with built-in light. That was definitely a big deal back then! I started using my e-reader even more. I’ve had more e-readers since then, and I’ve been very lucky to have been able to work together with Kobo. Right now I’m using the Kobo Forma, which is just an amazing e-reader. You can even read horizontally on that one. Before this one, I’ve also used the Kobo Glo HD, the Kobo Aura ONE and the Kobo Clara. I also tested a Kindle e-reader once, which was OK, but I have to admit I’m team Kobo!
So here’s why I love e-reading so much:
1. It’s a lot easier and lighter to hold than an actual book. I mostly read in bed, and I like to lay on my side and I change sides constantly… So when I read a physical book in bed, especially when it’s a hefty one, that can be really annoying. With an e-reader, you simply don’t have that ‘problem’.
2. I love the fact that you don’t have to turn on a lamp while reading on an e-reader. I like to feel cosy when I’m reading; light a candle, get a blanket, a cup of tea etc. and it kind off kills the vibe if you have to turn on an extremely bright reading light. So that’s why, especially at night, I love reading on my e-reader because it has built-in light and I can keep the rest of my room dimly lit and cosy. Also very handy for reading in the middle of the night – which I sometimes do if I get really into a book. I then just set the light on my e-reader on the lowest setting and no one else in the house is bothered by me reading late.
3. It’s so much easier to bring along when you’re traveling or commuting. When I go somewhere, I don’t like bringing a lot of stuff or hefty things. Sometimes bringing a physical book can be such a pain. An e-reader is a lot more convenient, and it also means you’re not bringing just one book, no you’re bringing a whole bunch of them. I’m also quite a fuzzy person, I don’t like my books to get damaged; every little tiny scratch annoys me so much. So I’d just rather not risk damaging my beautiful physical books while bringing them along for the ride…
4. You can read e-books on every device; your laptop, your phone, your tablet. But it’s just not the same as reading on an actual e-reader. The paper on an e-reader is as close as you’re digitally going to get to real paper. It’s not straining on your eyes and it has no glare like a tablet does, and it just has a bookish feel. I personally do not like reading e-books on any other device than an e-reader.
5. No waiting! When you want to read a certain book, you can just get it right then and there. You don’t have to wait for your book to ship, you don’t have to go to an actual store. Just download and go!
So there you have it! I will forever cherish my beautiful physical books. Nothing can beat the feeling of having a real book in your hands, the smell of the pages, flipping through it. But reading on an e-reader is a different kind of magic that I love as well. I’m team physical books as well as team e-books!
Do you like e-reading, or do you stick to physical books only?
Kobo Libra H20
*Update: Kobo has just released their newest e-reader. The Kobo Libra H20. Which looks very similar to the Kobo Forma, but is a cheaper model and also a more compact model. It has a 7-inch screen, it’s fully waterproof and it comes in black ánd white. I love that they’re bringing back the white. How funny that I talked about their old white e-readers in this post and then this new white one comes along! The new Libra will be available from the 17th of September and will retail for 179,99 euros.
I personally think the Kobo Libra H20 looks really good! I love that it’s a little smaller than the Forma, but what I also really love is the sleepcover that they’re bringing out for this e-reader. The cover comes in black, white, blue and pink. I think it looks really sleek and I’ve especially fallen in love with the pink one – combined with the white e-reader. The sleepcover will retail for 39,99 euros.
**I have worked together with Kobo in the past and might work with them again in the future. This blogpost is not sponsored though. All views are my own.